How to choose the Best Bariatric Surgeon
You may be wondering who is the Best bariatric surgeon to look after you or a family member considering weight loss surgery. This is your most important decision. Your GP may be able to assist you with a referral, or you may be guided by recommendations from family and friends.
These are some things to consider:
- Does the surgeon have specific training and expertise in bariatric surgery?
- What is the surgeon’s experience and how many cases have they performed?
- Do they audit their results and contribute to the Bariatric Surgical Registry?
- What are their results? How many complications including leaks, bleeds have they had?
- Has the surgeon published their data in peer-reviewed journals?
- Is the surgeon invited to speak at bariatric conferences or involved in mentoring programs?
- Do they work in a clinic with inhouse dietitians, psychologists, exercise physiotherapist to provide ongoing care and support?