Australia’s food & nutrition 2012 report is out. The link below is a brief report and makes good school project material.
Interesting stats include:
- There are more than 55,000 food items available in supermarkets
- Around 1 in 10 evening meals we eat are take-away
- We spend almost 30% of our food money on take-aways and restaurant meals
- We spend more on alcohol than on meat, fish and seafood combined
- We don’t eat enough fruit, vegetables nor dairy food (or calcium alternatives)
- 1 in 4 children aged 2-16 is overweight or obese
- 1 in 2 Aussie adults are carrying too much body fat
- We waste $600 of food per year per household.